Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars Movie: My Thoughts

When I read the news tonight that The Fault in Our Stars movie has officially hired a director, I was at first ecstatic.

However, after thinking about it for awhile, I got worried.

I absolutely adore John Green and everything he does. I love his books first and foremost, and I will always be a fan. I adore his and Hank's Youtube channel. I also love Crash Course and his Swoodilypoopers videos. Basically, everything he and his brother do is amazing to me. So I am incredibly happy that The Fault in Our Stars will probably be made into a movie.

However, I know what happens when books become made into movies, and that's what has me worried.

The Fault in Our Stars is such a gem, and as a book it really functions to directly touch a readers' soul and inspire them. I know it has helped people through tough times, and people have a connection to that book that goes way deep.

How is that connection going to be translated into a movie?

Well, only time will tell. John seems thrilled about the director; he thinks that Josh Boone's close and personal connection with the book will translate well into the direction of the movie. However, I can't help but be skeptical.

I have a firm belief that what makes a good book is not what makes a good movie. I have always believed that, and that is why I am so accepting of movie adaptations that some of my friends might cast off as bad adaptations. However, a book like The Fault in Our Stars- which already has such a huge fan base with such a large amount of the readership having a personal connection with the story- might not translate well onto the big screen. I remain optimistic; I would love for this movie to be a huge success. However, I can't help but remain skeptical.

Which leads me to ask the question.... how do you feel about The Fault in Our Stars being made into a movie?

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment