Sunday, June 20, 2010

Shrinking Violet

Shrinking Violet is a book that drew me in by the cover. It's such a pretty cover, isn't it?

That is my first bit of praise for this book. The rest of the praise will be solely attributed to the content. For one, the character of Tere Adams is one that is universal. Extremely shy, but with a hidden edgier side. There are shy girls everywhere we go, but it's only a matter of noticing them. I did think that her character may have been a bit exaggerated at points, but overall she was realistic and easily liked.

The story was one that I couldn't resist. I've always loved books with musical aspects, and Shrinking Violet has that. With Tere working as a DJ, it's easy to see her love of music and that is something that any audience can connect to.

It's also easy to connect with Tere's dilemma: her DJ alter-ego, Sweet T, is being set up on a blind prom date. This would be great for the outgoing and lovable Sweet T, but it's not so great for Tere. Not to mention the fact that Tere already has a crush on someone, who is unavailable on the night of this momentous occasion.

This book was fun and insightful until the end. I couldn't wait to see how things played out, and while it may have been predictable, it was still great to see Tere get her happy ending. I also love the message, because it's one that I've been trying to tell myself for years: don't be afraid to be who you are, and speak up for yourself.

Overall: I loved it.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! Sounds like a fun book! I'm glad that you still enjoyed it, even if it had predictable points.

    ReplyDelete