Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo: A ((Swedish)) Movie Review

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Starring: Michael Nygvist and Noomi Rapace
Rated: R

I picked up this DVD on a whim; having read the book, I am really interested in the movie. I was going to wait until the American version came out later this year, but my curiosity got the better of me. So I rented the Swedish version.

While I can't say the movie was better than the novel, I can say they come pretty close. My one huge complaint about the novel was the huge amount of backstory and mumbo jumbo that I just didn't care about. The movie didn't have that- it jumped right into the story full throttle, caught my attention, and held it to the very end.

My one worry was that the movie would be confusing and hard to follow. It turns out that whoever adapted this movie from the book did an excellent job of knowing what to keep and what to discard, and the movie was easy to follow, even for someone who might not have read the book(s). My only complaint about the movie is that Erika Berger didn't play a big enough role. I know there's a lot to put in a short movie, but I feel like she's important enough to get more time on screen.

The actress who played Lisbeth was incredible; she was exactly what I pictured her to be. The actor who played Mikael was wonderful as well.

Overall: If you're a fan of TGWTDT, don't miss out on the Swedish version. Unless, of course, you have an extreme aversion to subtitles or dubbing.

NOTE: Heed the Rated R warning. This movie is SOOO not meant for young viewers.

Jane

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way you did about the movie - just loved it! As you said, the actress playing Lisbeth nailed it - awesome!

    The other two movie adaptations are also very good. Despite the Swedish subtitles, I really don't see how Hollywood can do any better. We'll see...

    Sue

    ReplyDelete