Friday, October 14, 2011

13 Little Blue Envelopes

13 Little Blue Envelopes
Maureen Johnson
Original Publication Date: August 2005

Summary:
When Ginny receives thirteen little blue envelopes and instructions to buy a plane ticket to London, she knows something exciting is going to happen. What Ginny doesn't know is that she will have the adventure of her life and it will change her in more ways than one. Life and love are waiting for her across the Atlantic, and the thirteen little blue envelopes are the key to finding them in this funny, romantic, heartbreaking novel.
Review: 
I read this book for the first time when I was in high school, and I did not enjoy it as much as I wanted to. However, when I got the chance to read it again, I decided to give it a go. After all, everyone loves Maureen Johnson, and she's hilarious on Twitter, so I knew there was obviously something wrong with me for not enjoying it.

Plus, I was about to embark on my own overseas adventure. Granted, I knew exactly where I was going and what I was doing, but it seemed to be the perfect book to read while traveling.

I must say, I did enjoy the book more the second time. I think part of the appeal of this book is simply the magical idea of having the chance to go to Europe on an unplanned, unknown adventure. As I was reading this book in the airport, all I wanted to do was to purchase a ticket for some random destination and see if I could make it.

This book is simply magical, while at the same time being entirely realistic. Because Ginny just didn't hop on a plane and go on a glorified adventure through Europe. She had problems throughout the book.

This book is more than just a trip through Europe, though. It's about growing up, and I can understand and relate to it much better now than I did when I was just a couple years younger. Throughout the book Ginny became a different person, and her entire view of things changed. I loved joining Ginny on a physical and spiritual journey, and I think a lot of girls could relate to her.

After reading this for the second time, I can honestly say that I am extremely excited to read The Last Little Blue Envelope. I want to see the end of Ginny's journey. 
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment