Thursday, July 15, 2010

Interview with Danielle Joseph

Danielle Joseph was kind enough to answer a few questions. I wasn't very original with the questions... a lot of them are the same ones I used with my interview with Elizabeth Scott. However, Danielle's answers are great and I would definitely recommend taking the time to read through them.

I'd also recommend checking out her books! I've only read Shrinking Violet (review here) and I loved it, and I definitely plan on reading Indigo Blues as soon as I can get my greedy hands on it!

Now, onto the interview!

On other authors:


1. If you could compare your writing to any other author’s, who would you compare it to and why?
Hmm, this is not an easy question. Readers that enjoy Shrinking Violet and Indigo Blues might enjoy Breathing by Cheryl Renee Herbsman, My Invented Life by Lauren Bjorkman or Fancy White Trash by Marjetta Geerling.
2. Who are some authors that you look up to or admire?
There are so many authors that I admire but as a kid I was a huge Judy Blume fan. I also loved Beverly Cleary and Robert Cormier. One of my favorite books is Born Blue by Han Nolan.
3. If you could talk to any author, living or dead, who would it be and what would be one question that you ask him or her?
One author that I would love to talk to is Toni Morrison. I think she is an amazing writer and would love to know more about her personal writing process.
On your books/characters:

4. Music is a big part of Shrinking Violet. How has music impacted your own personal life?
Music is a huge part of my life just like Tere in Shrinking Violet. As a teen I was forever making mixed tapes. I made party mixes, mixes for when you're sad, mixes that were for deep thinking, if there was an excuse to make a mix, I made it!
5. Are any of your characters’ more funny/embarrassing experiences related to things that have happened in your own life?
Oh, good question! I really had to think about this one, but actually I would have to say no. I do have tons of embarrassing stories filed away so I will have to pull them out sometime.
6. Is there any particular character that you share a special bond with?
In Shrinking Violet I am definitely rooting for Tere and if I were in school with her, I'd also have a crush on Gavin.
On writing:

7. Is there a type of book that you’ve always wanted to write, but never had the guts to do?
Well, there are book ideas that I want to get too but haven't had time yet. I've wanted to write a historical YA novel and will eventually get to that. Writing an adult novel definitely seems more daunting to me, but I'll get to that someday too.
8. What is your favorite part about being a published writer?
As corny as it may sound, my favorite part is hearing from readers, young and old. Books mean a lot to me so I'm so happy when people enjoy my books and get something out of them.
9. Has writing always been your dream profession? (If yes, how was that dream realized? If no, what was your previous dream and why hasn’t it been fulfilled?)
Yes, I have wanted to be an author since I was six. There were other professions that I thought about like being an ice skater, lawyer, DJ and an actor but I always came back to writing.
Thanks to Danielle Joseph for this awesome interview! Please visit Danielle Joseph's website, or click on the book covers in this post for links to specific books. :) [[I hope the book cover link thing works... if it doesn't, just let me know and I'll fix it!]]

2 comments: